Microgrid, Power System Communication, IEC 61850
Mohd Asim Aftab is working with EIED Department, Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology, Patiala since 2019. He has submitted his PhD on Smart Solutions for Active Distribution Systems and Microgrids from Jamia Millia Islamia (Central University), New Delhi. His research interests include Power System Communication, Microgrid and Smartgrid, Active Distribution System and IEC 61850.
- Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering (Thesis Submitted) in 2020 from Jamia Millia Islamia (Central University), New Delhi
- M. Tech. in Electrical Engineering (Control and Instrumentation) in 2015 from Jamia Millia Islamia (Central University), New Delhi
- B.Tech.(Honors) in Electrical and Electronics Engineering in 2012 from UPTU, Lucknow (Merit holder)
Experience: Total Teaching Experience 1 year
- Jan 2014 – June 2014: Lecturer, Electrical Engineering Department, VSGOI Unnao.
- Aug 2019 – Present: Asst. Professor (Contractual-I), EIED, Thapar University, Patiala.
- Smart Grid/Microgrid
- Power Electronics
- Electric Drives
- Electrical Engineering
- Power System Communication
- Active Distribution System Management
- Microgrid and Smartgrid standardization
- IEC 61850 based design of Power System
Journals (SCI Indexed=13)
- S M Suhail Hussain, Mohd Asim Aftab, Ikbal Ali and T S Ustun. " IEC 61850 based energy management system using plug-in electric vehicles and distributed generators during emergencies. " International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems Volume 119, 2020, 105873. (SCI Indexed, IF=4.418).
- Mohd Asim Aftab, S M Suhail Hussain, T S Ustun and Ikbal Ali. " Communication Layer Modeling of EV Discharging Process based on IEC61850. " IEEE Industrial Electronics Magazine (SCI Indexed, I.F.=13.241).
- Mohd Asim Aftab, S.M. Suhail Hussain, Ikbal Ali and Taha Selim Ustun. " State-of-the-art Review of Travelling Wave Based Fault Location Techniques in Power Systems. " International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems Volume 119, 2020, 105873. (SCI Indexed, IF=4.418).
- S.M. Suhail Hussain, Mohd Asim Aftab, Furquan Nadeem, Ikbal Ali and Taha Selim Ustun. " Optimal Energy Routing in Microgrids with IEC 61850 based Energy Routers " IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics vol. 67, no. 6, pp. 5161-5169, June 2020. (SCI Indexed, IF=7.503).
- Mohd Asim Aftab, S. M. S. Hussain, I. Ali and T. S. Ustun. " A Novel SCL Configuration Method for Modeling Microgrids With IEC 61850 " IEEE Systems Journal (Early Access) (SCI Indexed, I.F.=3.882).
- Mohd Asim Aftab, S. Roostaee, S. M. Suhail Hussain, I. Ali, M. S. Thomas and S. Mehfuz. " Performance evaluation of IEC 61850 GOOSE-based inter-substation communication for accelerated distance protection scheme " IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, vol. 12, no. 18, pp. 4089-4098, 2018. (SCI Indexed, I.F.=3.229).
- Taha Selim Ustun, Mohd Asim Aftab, Ikbal Ali and S M Suhail Hussain. " A Novel Scheme for Performance Evaluation of an IEC 61850 based Active Distribution System Substation. " IEEE Access, vol. 7, pp. 123893-123902, 2019. (SCI Indexed, I.F.=4.098).
- Mohd Asim Aftab, S. M. S. Hussain, I. Ali and T. S. Ustun. " IEC 61850 and XMPP Communication Based Energy Management in Microgrids Considering Electric Vehicles. " IEEE Access, vol. 6, pp. 35657-35668, 2018. (SCI Indexed, I.F.=4.098).
- S.M. Suhail Hussain, Mohd Asim Aftab and Ikbal Ali. " IEC 61850 Modeling of DSTATCOM and XMPP Communication for Reactive Power Management in Microgrids. " IEEE Systems Journal, vol. 12, no. 4, 3215-3225, 2018. (SCI Indexed, I.F.=3.882).
- Ikbal Ali, Mohd Asim Aftab and S.M. Suhail Hussain. " Performance Evaluation of IEC 61850-90-5 and IEEE C37.118.2 based Wide Area PMU Communication Networks. " Journal of Modern Power System and Clean Energy (Springer), July 2016, Volume 4, Issue 3, pp 487–495. (SCI Indexed, I.F.=2.122).
- M. A. Aftab, S. M. Suhail Hussain, V. Kumar, T. S. Ustun and I. Ali. " IEC 61850 Communication Assisted Synchronization Strategy for Microgrids." Presented in 2018 IEEE 13th International Conference on Industrial and Information Systems (ICIIS), Rupnagar, India, 2018, pp. 401-406.
- S. K. A. Aleem, M. A. Aftab, S. M. S. Hussain, I. Ali, V. Ganesh and T. S. Ustun. " Real-Time Microgrid Synchronization using Phasor Measurement Units " Presented in 2019 IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Systems and Green Technology (ICISGT), Visakhapatnam, India, 2019, pp. 19-193.
- I. Ali, M. Huzaifa, O. Ullah, M. A. Aftab and M. Z. Anis. " Real Time Microgrid State Estimation using Phasor Measurement Unit " Presented in 2019 International Conference on Power Electronics, Control and Automation (ICPECA), New Delhi, India, 2019, pp. 1-6.
- 3. I. Ali, S. M. S. Hussain and Asim Aftab. " Communication modeling of Phasor Measurement Unit based on IEC 61850-90-5 " Presented in 2015 Annual IEEE India Conference (INDICON), New Delhi, 2015, pp. 1-6.
- Mohd Asim Aftab, S. M. Suhail Hussain and Ikbal Ali. “ ICT Technologies, standards and protocols for Active Distribution Network Automation and Management ” in Advanced Communication and Control Methods for Future Smartgrids, by IntechOpen (London), ISBN 978-1-78984-106-0.
Achievement, Awards and Recognitions
- Best Reviewer Elsevier Journal- ICT Express
- Senior Research Fellow awarded by Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), New Delhi
- Tenth position in state in B.Tech. (Electrical and Electronics Engineering)
- Delivered Talk and undertaken Hands-on-Training in the area of SCADA Systems during POSOCO Load Dispatchers Training & Certification Program at SCADA and Smart Grid Technologies Lab., Dept of Electrical Engineering, Jamia Millia Islamia from 29-01-2018 to 02-02-2018.
- Member, IEEE Industry Connection program on PLC Test Beds in India
- Institution of Electrical and Electronics Engineers – IEEE Graduate student member
- Reviewer for various reputed journals such as IEEE Transactions of Industrial Electronics, IEEE Transactions of Industrial Informatics, IEEE Systems Journal, IET GTD, International Journal of Critical Infrastructure Protection (Elsevier), IEEE Access, ICT Express (Elsevier)
Message to Students & Community
There is no elevator to success, you have to take the stairs.