Power System Protection and Relaying Applications
Dr. Soumitri Jena is working with EIED Department, Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology, Patiala since 2020. He has completed his PhD degree in Improved Schemes for Busbar and Breaker-Failure Protection from IIT Roorkee in February 2020. His research interests include Power System Protection and Relaying Applications.
- Ph.D. (IIT Roorkee) in Electrical Engineering specialisation in Power System Protection
- M. Tech in Power System, NIT Hamirpur
- B.Tech. in Electrical Engineering, B.P.U.T. Odisha
- Power System Protection
- Network Analysis
- Power System Operation and Control
- Smart Grid Applications
- Distribution Systems
- Substation Protection and automation
- IEC-61850 based substation applications
- Application of machine learning in Power System
- Microgrid protection and control
- S. Jena and B. R. Bhalja, “Development of a new fault zone identification scheme for busbar using logistic regression classifier”, in IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 174-184, January 2017.[SCI Impact Factor 3.229].
- S. Jena and B. R. Bhalja, “Numerical Busbar Differential Protection using Generalized Alpha Plane”, in IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 227-234, January 2018. [SCI Impact Factor 3.229].
- S. Jena, and B. R. Bhalja, “A New Differential Protection Scheme for Busbar Using dq0 Transformation," in Electric Power Components and Systems, vol. 47, no. 4-5, pp. 382-395, May 2019. [SCI Impact Factor 0.888]
- S. Jena, and B. R. Bhalja, “Initial travelling wavefront-based bus zone protection scheme," in IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, vol. 13, no. 15, pp. 3216-3229, August 2019. [SCI Impact Factor 3.229].
- S. Jena and S. Chauhan, “Solving Distribution Feeder Reconfiguration and Concurrent DG Installation Problems for Power Loss Minimization by Multi Swarm Cooperative PSO Algorithm," in proceedings 2016 IEEE/PES Transmission and Distribution Conference and Exposition (T&D), Dallas, TX, May 2016.
- S. Jena and B. R. Bhalja, “A new numeric busbar protection scheme using Bayes point machine," in proceedings 2017 IEEE PES Asia-Pacific Power and Energy Engineering Conference (APPEEC), Bangalore, November 2017.
- S. Jena, B. R. Bhalja, and S. R. Samantray “A Fault Zone Identification Scheme for Busbar using Correlation Coefficients Analysis," in proceedings 2019 IEEE PES General Meeting (PESGM), Atlanta, August 2019.
- S. Jena, and B. R. Bhalja, “Application of Wavelet Transform for IEC-61850 Based Busbar Protection," in proceedings IEEE India Council International Conference (INDICON 2019), Rajkot, Gujurat, December 2019.
- S. Jena, and B. R. Bhalja, “A New Differential Protection Scheme for Busbar using Teager Energy Operator," in proceedings International Conference on Power Systems (ICPS 2019), Jaipur, India, December 2019.
- N. Kothari, B. R. Bhalja, V. Pandya, P. Tripathi and S. Jena, “A Faulty Section Identification Scheme in Thyristor Controlled Series Compensated Transmission Lines using Superimposed Currents," in proceedings International Conference on Power Systems 2019 (ICPS 2019), Jaipur, India, December 2019.
Achievement, Awards and Recognitions
- The Institution of Engineers, India (IEI) R & D grant-2017 (grant no. DR2017010).
Message to Students & Community
“A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." — Albert Einstein