Microgrid and Power Systems
Dr. Jitender Kaushal is working as an Assistant Professor in Electrical and Instrumentation Engineering Department (EIED) at Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology (TIET) since July, 2013. He has almost ten years of experience in teaching. He received his Ph.D. degree in March, 2021 from TIET (Deemed-to-be University), Patiala, Punjab, India. He received his Master of Engineering in Power System and Electric Drives from Thapar University, India and Bachelor of Technology in Electrical Engineering from Himachal Pradesh University, Shimla, India in the year 2012 and 2008 respectively. Presently, he is working in the area of microgrid operation and control with penetration of the renewable energy resources. His research interest is on microgrid, renewable energy resources, distributed generation technology, power quality monitoring index and its control. He has experience of working on the real-time simulator OP4510 RT-LAB-RCP/HIL for the verification of various Matlab-Simulink models; and also working on Development Board Xilinx Spartan-6 FPGA kit. He has done one year CAPSL programme in ‘New Directions in Teaching & Learning’ at Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala in collaboration with Trinity College Dublin, Ireland. He was awarded with ‘distinction’ in the ‘New Directions Course Assignment’ in this CAPSL programme.
- Ph.D. in Design and Control of Microgrid System for Optimum Operation from / Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology (Deemed-to-be University), India / in March, 2021
- M. E. in Power Systems & Electric Drives from / Thapar University, India / in 2012
- B.E. in Electrical Engineering from /Himachal Pradesh University, Shimla / in 2008
Academic Experience: 10 Years
- From July 2013 - Present: Assistant Professor (C-II), Department of Electrical and Instrumentation Engineering, Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology (Deemed-to-be University), India
- From July 2012 - June 2013: Assistant Professor, Electronics & Communication Engineering, Maharishi Markandeshwar University (Deemed-to-be University), India
- Real Time Simulation of Energy Systems
- Direct Current Machines and Transformers
- Power System Analysis and Stability
- Operation and Control of Power Systems
- Electrical Machines
- Flexible AC Transmission Systems
- Network Analysis and Synthesis
- Power Electronics
- Microgrid: Operation & control
- Power quality monitoring index (PQMI)
- Automated demand side management (ADSM)
- LV grid operation: communication delay, demand response and off-nominal conditions
List of Publications
- Amandeep Kaur, Jitender Kaushal and Prasenjit Basak, “A review on microgrid central controller”, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 55, pp. 338-345, 2016. (Impact Factor: 14.982)
- Jitender Kaushal and Prasenjit Basak, “A Novel Approach for Determination of Power Quality Monitoring Index of an AC Microgrid Using Fuzzy Inference System”, Iranian Journal of Science and Technology, Transactions of Electrical Engineering, Springer, vol. 42, issue 4, pp. 429-450, 2018. (Impact Factor: 1.376)
- Jitender Kaushal and Prasenjit Basak, “A Decision Making Methodology to Assess Power Quality Monitoring Index of an AC Microgrid Using Fuzzy Inference Systems”, Electric Power Components and Systems, Taylor & Francis, vol. 47, issue 14-15, pp. 1349-1361, 2019. (Impact Factor: 1.071)
- Jitender Kaushal and Prasenjit Basak, "Power quality control through automated demand side management in microgrid equipped with battery energy storage for protection," in IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, vol. 14, no. 12, pp. 2389-2398, 2020. (Impact Factor: 2.862)
- Jitender Kaushal and Prasenjit Basak, “Power quality control based on voltage sag/swell, unbalancing, frequency, THD and power factor using artificial neural network in PV integrated AC microgrid”, Sustainable Energy, Grids and Networks, vol. 23, pp. 1-23, 2020. (Impact Factor: 3.899)
- Jitender Kaushal and Prasenjit Basak, “The Deployment of Microgrid as an Emerging Power System in India and its Simulation using Matlab-Simulink”, International Journal of Advanced Research in Electrical, Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering, vol. 3, issue 4, pp. 9163-9170, April 2014.
- Jitender Kaushal and Prasenjit Basak, “Frequency control of islanded microgrid using fuzzy-PI and autotuned controllers”, International Journal of Advances in Applied Sciences (IJAAS), vol. 8, issue 1, pp. 64-72, March 2019.
- Jitender Kaushal and Prasenjit Basak, “A typical layout of microgrid and scope of its industrial application”, 7th India International Conference on Power Electronics (IICPE), Patiala, pp. 1-5, 2016.
- Sahil Mehta, Jitender Kaushal and Prasenjit Basak, “Tariff calculation using hybrid smart energy meter and fuzzy inference system”, 2018 IEEMA Engineer Infinite Conference (eTechNxT), New Delhi, India, pp. 1-6, 2018.
- Jitender Kaushal and Prasenjit Basak, “Microgrid: An Emerging Power System and its Deployment in Indian Power Scenario”, TEQIP Sponsored National Conference on Integrated Computational Techniques in Electrical Engineering (ICTEE-2014), Patiala, pp. 1-6, 18-19 January 2014.
- Jitender Kaushal and Souvik Ganguli, “Recent Development in Ant Colony Optimization: A Critical Review”, 4th National Conference on Recent Trends & Technologies in Soft Computing, St. Peter's University, Avadi, Chennai, 2012.
Achievement, Awards and Recognitions
- Attended 05 workshops in IIT Delhi, IIT Mandi, NIT Hamirpur and NITTTR Chandigarh.
- Delivered guest lecture on “Design, Control and Implementation of Microgrid System for the Assessment of Power Quality Parameters”, in the department of Electrical Engineering, Government College of Engineering & Technology, Jammu, India, August 01, 2021.
- Awarded with distinction in the assignment as a part of Collaborative Academic Practices for Student Learning (CAPSL) "New Directions in Teaching & Learning" programme organized by Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, India, in collaboration with the Trinity College of Dublin in the year 2019-2020.
- Worked on Matlab-Simulink software especially in the libraries of Fuzzy Logic Toolbox, Neural Network Toolbox, Simscape etc.
- Worked on HOMER Pro Software: Assessment of solar global horizontal irradiance (GHI) and average wind speed data; Designing of off-grid and on-grid connected distributed power systems.
- Familiarized with Hand held GPS Navigation Instrument, Digital Pyranometer and Anemometer.
- Having experience of working on the real-time simulator OP4510 RT-LAB-RCP/HIL for the verification of Matlab-Simulink models.
- Also, working on SPARTAN6 Development Board: Xilinx Spartan-6 FPGA.
Message to Students & Community
“Do something each day to bring you a little closer to your dreams.”